Dora Nkem Akunyili, was a committed, transparent and honest Nigerian, her selfless service and value for Human life are some of the Legacies she left behind.
Here are some interesting facts you probably did not know about her:
- Dora Nkem Akunyili was born on the 14th of July 1954 in Markurdi, Benue State.
- She was a devout Catholic.
- She was married to Dr J.C Akunyili till her death. they had six children together.
- She won the best student award in the school of pharmacy in her very first year in the school and the Vice Chancellor’s post graduate and Research leadership prize in the faculty of pharmaceutical Science for 1984/85 and 1985/86 academic sessions.
- She started her working career as a Hospital Pharmacist in the University Of Nigeria Teaching hospital (UNTH) Enugu in 1978.
- She was a professor of Pharmacology, senior lecturer and consultant Pharmacologist in the College of medicine, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN).
- She was an internationally renowned Pharmacist, Pharmacologist, Erudite Scholar, seasoned administrator and a visionary leader.
- She served her country as Director General of NAFDAC. And also as a Federal Minister of Information and Communication.
- She ran for Elections as a Senator in Anambra, which she lost.
- She was recognized by Times Magazine as one of the eighteen Heroes of our time.
- For her Industry and commitment to the values of honesty, transparency, and selfless service, she received over Six hundred Awards and Recognition.
- She died on the 7th of June 2014, in an India Hospital due to cancer.
She came, she contributed her own part to Move Naija.
What are you doing to #MoveNaija?